Friday, July 8, 2016

What to Write ~ Commandment 7


I've been writing a series of letters to my kids based on the 10 Commandments. You can find my other letters in this series by following the links below.

  1. first letter (introduction)
  2. second letter (first commandment - no other gods)
  3. third letter (second commandment - no idols)
  4. fourth letter (third commandment - don't misuse God's name)
  5. fifth letter (fourth commandment - keep the Sabbath day holy)
  6. sixth letter (fifth commandment - honor your father and mother)
  7. seventh letter (sixth commandment - do not murder)

And now for the eighth letter discussing the seventh commandment...


Dear.....

This is an exciting month and year for us. Twenty years ago (July 20, 1996), Kevin and I got married. I'll be honest with you - I was nervous about getting married. My parents had recently gotten divorced, and Kevin's parents were in the process of getting divorced, so I was hesitant to enter into such a big commitment.

You see, marriage is a big deal. It's a covenant between two people and God to share their lives and be faithful to one another in all circumstances. There are good times and bad times, ups and downs, joys and trials, but through it all we are to remain faithful to one another. This is what the seventh commandment addresses...."You shall not commit adultery." Exodus 20:14.

When a man and a woman get married, they join their two lives together and become one. When you make decisions you no longer think, "what is best for me?" but instead think, "what is best for US?" It's a partnership. You could also think of it as a team in which you have to work together to make it work.

Marriage is a promise between two people and God. We need to keep that promise daily and choose to love eachother. Remember when I said the first the first four commandments teach us how to love God with all our hearts and the other six teach us how to love others in the same way? This is a perfect example of how both go hand in hand. When we are married, we are commanded to love our spouse in the same way we love God - wholeheartedly and with complete faithfulness. It's what God has commanded of us and it's a way we can show our love and devotion to God.

I've been praying this prayer every day recently....
"O God, you have taught me to keep all your commandments by loving you and my neighbor: Grant me the grace of your Holy Spirit, that I may be devoted to you with my whole heart, and united to others with pure affection; through Jesus Christ our Lord."

We love you and are praying for you.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...