Friday, February 12, 2016

What to Write ~ Commandment 2

I've started a series of letters to my kids based on the 10 Commandments. My first letter was an introductory letters, encouraging them to memorize the 10 Commandments. My second letter focused on the first commandment, and this is the third letter which talks about the second commandment.


How are you? We are well. We've had some beautiful weather lately and some of the spring flowers are starting to bloom.

Today I want to write to you about the second command from the 10 commandments. Do you remember the first one? Number 1 was "you shall have no other gods before me". Number 2 is "you shall not make for yourself and idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

Do you know what an idol or graven image is? An idol is a symbol of an object of worship or a false god. It can also be an image of a deity other than God. There are all sorts of religions that have idols and it's common for people to worship these idols. However, God makes it very clear that we as Christians are NOT to do this. As the verse says, we cannot make idols of anything in heaven, anything on earth or anything in the waters - in other words, we cannot make any idols of any kind.

There is an account in Exodus of the Israelites making a golden calf and worshipping it. God was so angry that he struck them with a plague because of what they had done. He is a jealous God and wants our full attention and devotion. We are only to worship Him - nothing else.

Our God is a living God and He can heal us, love us, protect us, forgive us and fill our hearts with joy. And idol or false god is just a thing. An idol can't offer us protection, healing, love or forgiveness.


cross 1
I love seeing the image of a cross because it reminds me of Christ's sacrifice on my behalf. It is a visual reminder that Christ died for me and because of that my sins are forgiven. However, I don't bow down or pray to a cross - that would be idolatry. When I see a cross, I thank God for who He is and what He has done.

I hope this helps you understand the second command a little bit better. Are you still telling God every morning that you choose to love Him more than anyone or anything? I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

May God bless you and keep you - may his face shine upon you - may you know and experience his love today.

Love, the Foley family



I took the photo with my iphone and edited it on pizap. If you want to use it to send to your own kids, let me know and I'll email it to you. I five different edits, so let me know specifically which one you want.

cross 2
cross 3


cross 4
cross 5
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...