Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Final Letter

I've had my fair share of experience when it comes to writing final letters to sponsored children, and there is always a mix of emotions that flood me.

~ joy ~ sadness ~ hope ~ relief ~ loss ~ 

In the past couple years I've written several final letters for various reasons.

  • Cristine (Philippines) dropped out of school (and thus the Compassion project) to work as a waitress. We had sponsored her 8 years.
  • Nowanda (Indonesia) and her family moved to an area where there was no Compassion center. We had sponsored her 7 years.
  • Suresh (India) and his family no longer needed Compassion's assistance.
  • Mekdes (Ethiopia) completed high school and got a job.
This week I wrote another final letter. David has graduate from university and successfully completed Compassion's Leadership Development Program. I rejoice in his accomplishment, but mourn my own loss. 

You see, I met David two years ago (this month) when I went to Peru. Only a few months earlier, I requested an LDP student to correspond with and then meet while I was in Peru. When I made this request, I never could have imagined how special this young man would become to our family. Even our first meeting was special.

David and I ~ August 24, 2010

The day I met David for the first time was my birthday. I knew we were having dinner with Peruvian LDP students, but had no idea David would be one of them. They surprised me and it was such a blessing to sit with him at hear his story over dinner. 

Emerita, David and I

The next day I got to spend the entire day with him and his mother. To meet the mother of this remarkable young man was such a blessing. We laughed together, cried together and prayed together. She told me she would pray for me as I raise my daughters, that I would not encounter the struggle she did. I asked her to pray that I would raise strong, God-fearing children like she did.

Over the past two years his letters to us have come faithfully ~ every single month. He has encouraged us, prayed for us and given us a better look into how the ministry of Compassion impacted his life. Because of David I am a better sponsor, a better advocate, a better disciple...

Whenever I write a final letter, I fill it with words of encouragement....words that will hopefully give hope and purpose and strength. I fill the letter with praise for the child (young adult) and point out the strengths and talents God has given them. If I know that child's dream for his or her life, I tell them ~ remind them ~ as a means of planting hope for a future. I tell them I will never forget them and that whenever God brings them to mind, I will pray for them. And I ask them to do the same. I tell them what an honor and privilege it was to be their sponsor/correspondent. I thank them for all their prayers for me over the years and for taking the time to be my friend.

When you are faced with writing a final letter, pray and ask God what He would have you say. It really is a wonderful opportunity to speak hope into their lives - one last time. I have a feeling that our final letters will be read over and over and over.

I have another final letter to write in the next month or so. I've known for several years that this was coming and it's not going to be easy. But I'm already praying about it and trust God will give me the words. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...