Thursday, December 10, 2015

What to Write ~ The 10 Commandments

I've started a new series or theme for my letters to my sponsored and correspondent kids. Like my Fruit of the Spirit series, my first letter introduces the overall theme of the 10 Commandments and each letter following will focus on an individual commandment.






Greetings from Oregon! I sure hope this letter finds you well.

Do you like to follow rules? Do you have rules at school or at the Compassion center that you are supposed to observe and obey? Do your parents give you rules to follow at home? I know some people think rules are restrictive – that they are meant to keep us from doing the things we want to do. But I think rules are actually good and give us freedom to live a better way.

God has given us rules in the Bible about how we should live. The most famous list of rules is called the 10 Commandments and I bet you are at least a little bit familiar with them. Moses went up on Mt. Sinai and met with God. It was here that God gave Moses the 10 Commandments for the Israelites. 

These 10 commandments or rules were set by God for the people to follow. Because God loves us and knows what is best for us, He has given us rules to follow so that our lives will be pleasing to Him.
Even though these rules were originally given to the Israelites, they are still applicable to all who love and follow God – people like you and me.  I think it’s important to understand what these commands mean and I’ll be looking at each commandment individually in my upcoming letters. For today I’d like to introduce all 10 commandments and encourage you to memorize this list. You can read the original story in Exodus 20.

The 10 Commandments
1        Love God more than you love anything else.
2        Don’t make anything in your life more important than God.
3        Always say God’s name with love and respect.
4        Honor God by resting on the seventh day of the week.
5        Love and respect your parents.
6        Don’t hurt anyone.
7        Always be faithful to your husband or wife.
8        Don’t take anything that isn’t yours.
9        Always tell the truth.
10      Be content with what you have – don’t wish for other people’s stuff.

I’m praying for you and your family. I pray that you can truly learn to love God with all your heart, soul and mind and follow His commands. I pray that as you follow these rules, you will find freedom in living your life in a way that honors God.                                      

May God bless and keep you, 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...