Along with the topic of giving, we sang "Dios Ama el Dador Alegre" or "God Loves a Cheerful Giver" (from Steve Green's CD…it's in English and in Spanish).
As usual, we read A Country Far Away and Manuel & Manuel.
Then we watched Enough Food:
I was struck by the fact that our Ugandan friends, who have enough food, grow so much from scratch! They work so hard for their food. Juanito, on the other hand, noticed that they eat like we do and cook like we do.
We closed our time by continuing to create letters for the sponsored kids. Juanito just loves decorating papers and coloring! He has also recently become interested in answering questions about himself for simple form letters. I'm so excited that he enjoys writing to the kids with me!
Since today was our last week, I thought I'd summarize our time in case you would like to adapt Step Into My Shoes for your toddlers!
* Step Into My Shoes kit
* CD: we used Hide 'Em in Your Heart by Steve Green
* Children's Bible: we used The Beginner's Bible
* Supplemental books: we used A Country Far Away along with a few others
Tips: I found that the SIMS preschool adaptations were a bit advanced for my two-year-old, so what I found helpful were simple discussions after watching each video. I'd ask what he noticed and we'd talk about similarities and differences between Juanito's life and the lives of those we watched. And although Compassion recommends a few Bible verses, we stuck with just one passage: Matthew 6:9-13 (which we are still working on). Each week we sang a song, reviewed our memory verses, read a Bible story, read at least one other book, watched the video clip and talked about it, and then made a picture for a Compassion kid.
* Week 1: Watch Introduction Video, sing Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and read and talk about the memory verse (the Lord's prayer).
* Week 2: Watch Welcome/Meet the Family, sing Children Obey Your Parents, and read about Jesus healing the girl.
* Week 3: Watch Find Food and Water, sing I Can do All Things, and read about Jesus turning the water into wine.
* Week 4: Watch How to Make a Soccer Ball, sing Hosanna, and read about Jesus calling His disciples.
* Week 5: Watch Enough Love, sing G-O-D is L-O-V-E, and read the story of Jesus' death and resurrection.
* Week 6: Watch Enough Water, sing Give Thanks to the Lord, and read the story of Jonah.
* Week 7: Watch Enough Hope, sing Do Not Worry, and read the sermon on the mount.
* Week 8: Watch Enough Safety, sing When I Am Afraid, and read about Jesus calming the storm.
* Week 9: Watch Enough Education, sing Train Up a Child, and read feeding of the 5,000.
* Week 10: Watch Enough Food, sing God Loves a Cheerful Giver, read the story of Zacchaeus.