A couple years ago Compassion made letter writing a whole lot easier. They created an on line letter writing tool that is beyond fantastic. The only requirement is that you have an account on Compassion's website.
Once you create an account and log in, you can write to your child on line.
Here's a step-by-step of how to use this tool:
- Step 1 – Sign In to My Account and hit the link to write to your child. If you have more than one child, you will have to choose which child you want to write to.
- Step 2 – Template Selection. This is where you get to choose a template for your letter. By default, the tool will show you age and gender specific templates, but you can look at them all and choose which one you want to use. There are even birthday and Christmas templates for you to use.
- Step 3 – Write Your Letter. Just start typing. There is a progress bar that lets you know when you will run out of space for the template. The website is constantly auto-saving your progress, so it's very unlikely you will lose your draft if something happens.
- Step 4 – Add Images & Preview. When you are finished writing your letter, you will have the option of attaching photos to your letters. These photos will be affixed to the bottom of the first page of the letter. Finally you get to preview the letter and you'll see something like this....
- Step 5 - Send Your Letter. That's it! You are done. Compassion will print these out at their mailing center in Colorado Springs and send them on to your child's country for translation. I recently saw some sample letters printed out and they look great. After you send your letter, you will be given the chance to save the letter as a template for another child. If you are writing to several children, this makes it very easy to send multiple letters with minimal time. All you have to do is change the names and necessary pronouns. You can also change the template and even photos if you want.