Wednesday, March 20, 2013

World Water Day

I really don't know a lot about this official day called "world water day" so I'm not going to pretend I do. But there is a website I (and you) can explore to learn more.

It's also a GREAT opportunity to think about and talk about how blessed we are because water flows freely from our faucets. If you have small kids, this is a great opportunity to educate them about how most of the world lives.

When this blog was new, I wrote a post called Water. In that post I challenged readers to count the number of faucets in their home and then donate X amount of money per faucet. Not only do we have instant access to clean water right inside our homes, we have several places of instant water access. My house has 12 faucets inside and out. 12!! It's hard to imagine life without easy access to water.

I've been really put out this week because we are remodeling our master bathroom. For the past week we've had no water in there. Can you believe I had to walk an additional 15 steps down the hallway to get a drink of water at night? What a pain! (I hope you are reading the sarcasm here...) When you think about having to trek miles for clean water and then carry it home, it puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

Here are some ideas for you to do in celebration of World Water Day:
  • Donate a certain amount of money per faucet in your house ($1, $5, $10 per faucet)
  • Donate enough $ to buy a Water of Life system ($79)
  • Carry a bucket of water as far as you can to get a glimpse of what life is like for so many of our Compassion children (this is a great one for kids to do)
  • Drink only water all day
  • Only use one faucet all day - maybe even consider only using an outside faucet (again, a great illustration for our kids)
  • Most of all....be thankful for what you have, and pray for those who lack what we take for granted
What are your ideas?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...