Monday, March 11, 2013

What to Write ~ When I Was Your Age

Sometimes kids have a hard time believing that adults were once their age. I know when I was a kid, this idea was beyond me. How could my mom have ever been 6 years old? I remember wondering what she was like when she was my age. What did she like to do? What were her favorite books? Who were her friends? What did she look like?

I think this topic would make for a very fun letter, especially around your sponsored child's birthday. And the great thing is, if you sponsor / correspond with more than one child, all you have to do is change the details according to your and their age!

So here are a couple letter examples....(with dorky photos of me). I had a lot of fun walking down memory lane, and these letters even passed the test of my own girls, ages 6 and 8. They loved hearing a little bit about my childhood.


Dear Joylyne,

I'm writing to wish you a very happy birthday. It's so exciting that you are turning 7! I remember what it was like when I was 7 years old. One of my favorite childhood memories was going to the annual All Saints Day party at my church every October. We would all dress up like Bible characters and there would be many games to play and treats to eat. One year I dressed up like Queen Esther. Another year I was Mary, the mother of Jesus. But when I was 7 years old, I was Miriam and my brother was Aaron. This was very fitting because my brother's name really is Aaron! Do you know Aaron and Miriam from the Bible? They were the brother and sister of Moses. Do you know the story of when Moses was placed in a basket as a baby and put on the river? I carried a basket with a baby doll in it. Here is the photo of me and my brother in our costumes. I was 7 years old in the photo - just like you are now!

Well, I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Please write back and tell me how it feels to be 7 and how you celebrated your big day. I love you so much and pray for you every day.

May God bless you! Love, Jill




Dear Ruth,

Hello sweet girl! I am writing to say Happy Birthday! Can you believe you are 5 years old now? You are growing up so quickly. I remember my 5th birthday. This is a photo of me on my 5th birthday. Can you tell what present I got from my parents and grandparents? I got this beautiful bike and I remember riding it up and down the sidewalk in front of our house. This was a very, very special gift. I especially liked the basket on the front and would put my favorite stuffed animal in there and take it for rides. Riding my bike was always a favorite activity of mine and I would ride to the park and also to school every day I could. 

Sydney and Kayleigh also love to ride their bikes. I don't ride my bike much anymore, but I love to run next to Sydney and Kayleigh while they ride. It helps me exercise to chase after them. Do you know how to ride a bike?

I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Please write back and tell me how you celebrated your special day. We love you and are praying for you and your family.

Much love, Jill



Dear Jerry,

Happy 11th birthday to you! How does it feel to be 11 now? Is it any different than 10? 

I was thinking back to when I was 11 years old and started going through photos. I found this photo of me wearing soccer uniform when I was 11. I was the only girl on the team and we were called "Orange Crush". I played soccer every year and was always on the same team as my brother. In our country, games like soccer are usually very organized. You are placed on a team and you practice with the same teammates all season and play games against other teams. I don't remember if I was very good at playing soccer or not, but I do remember enjoying the game. I also liked to play tennis and volleyball. When I was older, I was on the volleyball team at my school (in grades 7-11). 

I don't play many sports now that I am an adult, but I do enjoy running and hiking. I also like to do some rock climbing. What sports do you enjoy?

I hope you and your family are doing well. I hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration. I can't wait to hear about it. Please give my love to your family and tell them we are praying for all of you.

May God bless you! We are so proud of you and the wonderful young man you are becoming. 

Happy Birthday! Love, Jill


I hope these examples are helpful....3 different letters, 3 different ages, 3 different topics.

As always, I would love to hear your thoughts!













Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...