Monday, July 18, 2016

Give Your Child the World




Our family loves to read. I like to read so much, that I often read books about books that I should read. Books like Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt and Read for the Heart by Sarah Clarkson are great resources for parents wanting to guide their children to good books. And now Jamie Martin has released a book called Give Your Child the World: Raising Globally Minded Kids One Book at a Time.



The first several chapters are Jamie's story about having a global family (she's married to an English man, they have one biological son and have adopted a son from Liberia and a daughter from India!) and how they invite the world into their home through books and other means. The second part of the book is divided geographically and Jamie lists wonderful reading selections (categorized by age appropriateness) to further explore the world we live in.



I seriously wish I had written this book, but am also grateful Jamie did it for us. I recently went through the book and looked at the countries where Compassion works, then ordered several books from our local library. I'm looking forward to sitting down with my girls this week and enjoying stories from all over the world, and am sure we'll learn more about the countries where some of our sponsored children live.




I was so excited about this book that I pre-ordered my copy and it arrived on release day. When I came, I glanced at it, then put it on my bookshelf and planned to really look through it later in the week. The next day I got a text from Yvonne, saying that my quote made her smile. I didn't even know what she was talking about, but she sent a picture so I grabbed my copy and found a quote I had submitted! What a fun surprise to be included in this wonderful book. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...