Friday, January 29, 2016

Building a Wall


Have you ever had to build a wall? I have. A couple years ago I was in Mexico working at an orphanage for a few days and I was given the task of building a wall. I'd never built a wall before, but knew it could be done one brick at a time. 



 






Are you familiar with the book of Nehemiah in the Bible?

We kept at it, repairing and rebuilding the wall. The whole wall was soon joined together and halfway to its intended height because the people had a heart for the work. ~ Nehemiah 4:6 (MSG)


When Nehemiah learned that the wall surrounding Jerusalem lay in ruins he was saddened and moved to do something about it. He prayed. He fasted. And he led his people in the rebuilding of that wall. They shared a vision of restoring the wall and they worked (with all their hearts) until the task was done.

When I hear about the children who are still living in extreme poverty around the world - dying of preventable diseases every day - I am saddened and moved to do something about it.

Sometimes I pray. Sometimes I fast. Sometimes I rally others who share my vision to help me rebuild God's kingdom here on Earth.

Lately I haven't worked at this with all my heart, and the task certainly isn't done.

Just like I know I can build a wall one brick at a time, I can  also help wipe out poverty one child at a time. It's not enough to want to be part of this, I must have a heart for the work. I must persevere and see it through.

I've just ordered a few child packets and am eager to advocate on their behalf - to connect them with a sponsor who will offer the support, love and encouragement they need. Will you join me?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...