Tuesday, February 3, 2015

About This Man With 50 Kids!

Recently, on my own blog I wrote about...
... what it looks like to live a counter-cultural way of life, a life lived the Jesus-wayThis radical way to live out my every-days has hugely been on my heart and mind since our return from the Philippines this past summer.

I have come to see that... it is the only way to live as Christ-followers, not because of obligation or duty, but because... it is the only way we can live out that freedom for which Jesus sacrificed His very life for.

It is saying YES to living this counter-cultural and radical way of life and saying NO to the patterns of this world.
Brothers and sisters, God has called you to freedom! Hear the call, and do not spoil this gift by using your liberty to engage in what your flesh desires; instead, use it to serve each other as Jesus taught through love. For the whole law comes down to this one instruction: “Love your neighbor as yourself..." - Galatians 5:13-14.
Today, I would like you to meet a man who lives this life...
I first came across David Chalmers' story during my wanderings on the Internet one day. I started watching this video that I stumbled upon and was really inspired by this man's story. A man who, like me and the rest of my family, is an avid Advocate for Compassion International. I quickly gathered the whole family and had them watch the video as well.

Friends, you can watch the video for yourself here:


Soon after coming across David's story on the Internet, we got connected on Facebook and I learned that he was spending the year (2014) in the Philippines serving at an orphanage called Ruel Foundation.

It is no secret that the Philippines is very near and dear to our family's heart. It is not only the land of hubby's and my births, it is also where we have four Compassion children and where the building-that-Eucharisteo-built now stands and where True Story was filmed, Compassion Canada's first-ever youth curriculum video series of which my girl is the face and voice of. {Side note: We are extremely excited for the upcoming launch of True Story. I can not wait to share it with you all!}

Needless to say, David's connection to the Philippines hugely piqued my interest!

As I started following David's journey...
I quickly found out that he had a book in the works and was soon going to be a first-time author. The topic of the book excited me even more... yes, he's writing about his extensive experiences with the ministry of Compassion International as a result of sponsoring the many children that he does and his travels to visit many of them!

I could not wait to get my hands on this book!


David visiting his Compassion children in the Philippines.

Friends, this book was released earlier this month and I've had the honour of reading one of the very first copies of Go Into All The World. Here are a few of the many quotes that gripped me:
One thing I love about being a servant of God is that it doesn't matter who you are, if you make yourself available and are willing, He will use you to do amazing things for the good of His kingdom. I am proof of that.
I want people, when they see my life of sacrificial generosity, to see God in me. I was left with the profound realization that when everything else is stripped away and we're left with nothing but complete and utter dependence on God, that's when He does His best and most powerful work. 
One day we will all be accountable to God for the way we have used what He has given us. He has also given us free will. This is a double-edged sword: we have a choice to make, and with that choice comes consequences that affect ourselves and others. You can choose to use what you have been given to fund a lifestyle of comfort, convenience, security and ease for yourself. Or you can choose to make your life count on earth and in eternity by using your time, money and resources to help and invest in other people.

Aside from the gems of wisdom found in many places in the book much like the quotes above, I think the most valuable part of the book lies in the wealth of information that David shares, outlining details of his travels to visit several different Compassion projects in several different countries such as Bolivia, Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, Nicaragua and of course, the Philippines!

If you sponsor a child with Compassion and wonder about what it looks like to visit your child or if you ever wonder about how a Compassion project is run or if you would like a sneak peek into the daily life of your Compassion child, this book is for you!

If you are looking to start sponsoring a child but have unanswered questions about Compassion's ministry, this book will answer all your questions and will inspire you to start your journey!

If you are still a skeptic and are still not quite sure about child sponsorship or about Compassion's ministry for that matter, I can assure you that this book will make you a believer!

You can read more of David's personal story on his blog. You can also check out his YouTube channel where many of the videos from his visits to Compassion projects all over the world are posted. Finally, you can also interact with David on the book's Facebook page.

So, what are you waiting for? 
Friends, this is a must-read book. It is eye-opening and thought-provoking both at the same time. It will surely change your life... or at the very least, how you live your every-days.

Trust me... you will be freer and more alive and more joy-filled living with the counter-cultural and radical version of yourself! :)

There are several options to buy a copy. Get yours today!
 




About Aimee Esparaz... Aimee is mother to two teens and is passionate about living out Micah 6:8 with her family. She is a sponsor and advocate through Compassion Canada and works in global marketing. She loves to read and garden, and blogs at A Mom On A Mission.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...