Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Heart of Sponsorship

What is the heart of sponsorship? I believe I know the answer.

After 18 years of being a sponsor, I believe the heart of sponsorship is developing a relationship with your sponsored child.

But how? How can you possibly do that when your child lives on the other side of the world?

Easy. Write letters.

For some, writing letters regularly isn't easy. We all have our different reasons for not being very good about this, but the truth is, your sponsored child needs to hear from you.

Through letters we show an interest in the child's life. Through letters we can encourage our child to do their best in everything. Through letters we can disciple a child. Through letters we can send messages of love and hope.

Do you know that I have actually talked people out of sponsoring a child because they couldn't commit to writing letters?

What kind of advocate am I?

I'm the kind of advocate that cares about the child.

Compassion strives to develop children in a holistic way. They care about the child's physical well-being, spiritual well-being, social well-being and mental well-being. If they tell a child that he/she has a sponsor, and then the child never hears from the sponsor....what message does that send to the child?

Your letters don't have to be perfect.

Messages of love, encouragement and hope are sufficient.

Take a moment to say "I love you" or "You are special to me" or "You are beautiful" or "I love your handsome photo" or "I believe God has great things for you".

Take a moment to care.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...