Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just A Minute

I've begun reading Wess Stafford's new book called Just a Minute (I always type minuet instead of minute ~ must be the musician in me!). I've only read a couple chapters, but I'm enjoying it immensely. 


Along with his own thoughts, Dr. Stafford shares the stories of many whose lives were influenced by others in "just a minute" ~ both positively and negatively.

In chapter two he talks about how so many Compassion sponsors have discovered that "just a sentence" can also have a great impact.

"I urge you to seize the moment to sit down today and write a letter that lifts up your child. Look for anything in their past letters or reports that you can praise. Look for any signs of hurt or discouragement that you can counter with a word of encouragement. Look for any success that you can highlight and cheer with them. These, even brief notes, can be a lifeline of hope that reachers straight into their little hearts."

I'm taking Wess' words to heart and giving myself an assignment for the weekend. I challenge you to do the same.

A neighbor gave us this little clock for Christmas and not knowing what to do with it, I put it next to our Compassion children's photo.


I've been meaning to find a better spot for it, but haven't taken the time. Just as I was sitting down to write this post I saw it and realized what a great reminder it will be to "take a minute" every now and then.....

a minute to pray

a minute to write

a minute to encourage

a minute to disciple

a minute to hug

I'll be leaving the clock right where it is. 

I'd love for you to join me in the challenge of writing some encouraging words to your sponsored kids this weekend.  As Dr. Stafford says, "Words have life-giving power."


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...