Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Country Expert - Bangladesh

Because of it's proximity and similarity to India, I decided to post about Bangladesh next.


If you are not familiar with where Bangladesh is located, you can see that it is surrounded on three sides by India.

Compassion's work in Bangladesh began in June 2004. Registered children are ready for sponsorship; more than 16,600 children are registered in 99 child development centers.

**Disclaimer: Bangladesh is a country where Hinduism and other religions/spiritual practices dominate the culture. I have previewed many of these, but not all. Please use your own discretion when reading these books or using these resources with your own children.

Books:
Rickshaw Girl by Mitali Perkins
Living in Bangladesh by Ruth Thomson
Bangladesh by Tamra Orr
Yasmin's Hammer by Ann Malaspina **I loved this book!
A Basket of Bangles by Ginger Howard




Books that feature Bangladesh:
Window on the World by Daphne Spraggett


Websites:


Other:
Compassion Explorer - Fall 2010 issue



Free Printables:
About.Com - map

What ideas or resources can you add to this list?

To view my other country expert posts, go HERE.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! Bangladesh... My compassion child is from this country. I am looking forward to checking out these books and resources with my children. Thanks so much!
    P.S. I think I figured out how not to be anonymous anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was for you Nicole. I read Rickshaw Girl and Yasmin's Hammer - both were very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bangladesh is the #1 country I have not been to yet that I want to visit. Of course, meeting my Compassion son, Elahi, is a big part of that, but also because it is such a needy country physically and spiritually. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check out some of those books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca...I learned so much about Bangladesh while preparing this post. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rickshaw Girl is a great book--an easy read and a great way to learn about the culture!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...