Thursday, March 26, 2015

Step Into My Shoes ~ Our Experience: Getting Started and Step 1

Before I begin sharing our experience with the Step Into my Shoes, I want to thank Hannah for sharing about her experience with her very young kids. In fact, it was reading her first couple posts that pushed me to order the kit and go through it with my own girls.

I thought it might be fun for you to see what we did, as my girls are a bit older (8 and 10). Who knows...maybe it will push you to order the kit and do it with your own family. You can order yours HERE.

We opened our took kit and found 7 step cards outlining the focus and activities of that step. I also had an older version of this resource that I used for extra ideas. There is also a great resource page HERE that had links to the videos and printables.

what came in the tool kit

the older version I also had


There is a suggestion to cover your table with burlap, and I had some from last year's Compassion Sunday display. My girls LOVED that I went the extra step to decorate for this part of our homeschool day. I would set it up after they went to bed, and when they woke up it was ready to go. I intended to draw this experience out and do one step per week, but they were so enthusiastic and wanted to do all 7 steps in 7 consecutive days.




STEP 1

Some days or steps were more involved than others and this was definitely true of step 1.  I printed out the child, job and market cards, and then we dove into the lesson.


the kit came with prayer bands - one for each of us!
We watched the first video "Welcome / Meet the Family" and met our host family for the week.



Then each of the girls chose a child card and I blindly chose a job card.



Then we watched the next video - "Find Water and Food"

Next, I read my job card to see how much money I had earned at work that day, and we were off to the market to see what we could afford to buy that day. 


This is how we fared....rice, beans and dirty water (we couldn't afford clean water). The girls weren't very excited about our food for the day.


Finally we watched the third video - "Make a Soccer Ball". We didn't actually make a soccer ball like they suggest because we have done this before. Instead the girls spent some time reading their copy of Explorer Magazine that came in the tool kit.


We also practiced the suggested memory verse:

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one." - Matthew 6:9-13

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...