Wednesday, November 12, 2014

What to Write ~ Fruit of the Spirit ~ Peace

It's time to share another sample letter with you. Please feel free to use this letter in any way you see fit. You can copy it word for word, edit it to fit your child or use it as a launching pad for your own idea.

You may remember that a couple months ago I started a series of letters to my kids about the Fruits of the Spirit. In the first post, I introduced the Fruit of the Spirit and asked my kids to memorize Galations 5:22. Since then I've written about LOVE and JOY. Today I'll share with you my letter about PEACE.



I hope this letter finds you well. We think about you a lot and pray for you and your family regularly. We are so thankful for the opportunity to be your sponsors and get to know you a bit through our letters.

In my past few letters, I’ve been talking about the Fruits of the Spirit as mentioned in Galatians 5:22. Do you remember them? I’ve written them at the top of this letter and this time I’ll talk more a bit about PEACE.  When I look up the definition of peace I learn that it means “freedom from disturbance or quiet and tranquil”. The Bible talks quite a bit about peace also.

In Psalm 4:8, the psalmist wrote, “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone Lord, make me dwell in safety.” The psalmist was confident that God would protect him and therefore was able to rest and not worry.

I also love in Colossians where Paul admonishes us to “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.” True peace comes from Christ – from God.
Jesus himself said, Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  (John 14:27) 

And just a couple chapters later He says, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) He is reassuring his followers that He has given them (and us) peace.

Not only does God give us peace, He also commands us to live at peace with others – to pursue peace in our relationships. In Romans 12:18 it says, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

There are many, many more verses about peace in the Bible – too many to list them all here. By reading God’s word it’s pretty clear that peace is an important part of our faith. And as Christians, we are to produce peace – one of the fruits of the Spirit – in our lives.

I’ll leave you with this final prayer from Romans 15:13…

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,
so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I’d love to know what peace means to you and your family. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...