My dream Compassion Sunday looks something like this:
- We've advertised a couple weeks before that Compassion Sunday is coming up.
- Prior to the actual event, I have contacted all current sponsors in the church and asked them to bring photos of their child to the service on Compassion Sunday. We will display these photos somewhere in the church - either behind the sign-up table on the wall with a banner that says "Children sponsored by our church members" or on a display board that is in the front of the church during the service.
- All current sponsors are invited and encouraged to participate in Compassion Sunday in some capacity so it's not all me.
- Everyone at church hears the message of sponsorship - the adults in the service, the youth group and the children. In one church several years ago, we shut down all children's ministries and had a corporate worship service. I shared a special message geared towards the children and all were exposed to the impact of sponsorship. In another church, I simply spent time with the children's classes - explaining the ministry of sponsorship at a level they could understand.
- Everything from scripture to worship songs to the message ties in to the call God places on our lives to love others as ourselves - to spend ourselves on behalf of the needy - to care for orphans and widows.
- The Compassion video is shown
- Personal testimony is shared (either by myself or by another sponsor or both)
- Everyone in the church is moved to sponsor a child (I said it was a dream, didn't I?)
Even if the only thing you can do is pass out brochures and set up a table, DO IT! Plant whatever seeds you can. Get your foot in the door in whatever way you can.
With or without an official presentation, God can use any amount of awareness to stir people's hearts.
Most of all....keep in mind that you are doing your part by being available and sharing what God has laid on your heart. You are not responsible for how people respond. I have done my fair share of presentation where no one sponsored a child. For some, they will need to hear about sponsorship several times before acting on it. You are planting seeds and it's up to God to bring in the harvest.
Here are a couple more videos that might be helpful as you prepare for your Compassion Sunday.
Compassion Sunday: What to do the Day of My Presentation from Compassion International on Vimeo.
Compassion Sunday: What to do After My Presentation from Compassion International on Vimeo.