Do you have difficulty in knowing what to write to your sponsored child every month? Do you need some ideas to get you started? I'll be posting more regularly about ideas and samples of what you can write to your child.
The best advice I can give you concerning writing is this.... just do it. The more you write, the easier it will become. Pretty soon you will have many, many ideas and you'll have to choose one or write more often.
And now on to today's topic....
I think our sponsored kids would love to hear more about the churches we attend and how we are involved there. In one of your letters, why don't you share details about your church.
- How many people attend regularly?
- Do you teach any classes?
- Are you involved in any ministries?
- Do you attend any extra classes?
- What are your favorite worship songs? Share the lyrics and tell your child what makes it special to you.
- What kinds of instruments are included in your worship service?
- Have you heard a sermon recently that spoke to you? Share the general idea of the sermon with your child.
- Do you go to any church activities during the week?
- Have you shared the ministry of Compassion with the members of your church?
- Are there others within your church who also sponsor children through Compassion?
- Include some photos in your letter ~ if you think your church is too big and showy, look around and find something that would be appropriate to photograph and send. You can always send a photo of you with your pastor!
Our church meets in a very small, humble building so earlier this summer I sent a couple photos to our kids.
Again, I think this topic lends itself to many letters! Here are some examples of how I might use the answers to the following questions in a letter to my sponsored child.
Greetings to you from the United States! We are so happy to have the opportunity to write to you again. We hope this letter finds you and your family well.
When I was in church this past Sunday I began wondering what your church is like. It made me think that you might also like to know about the church my family attends. The name of our church is Harvest Christian Church and we have been going there for about two years now. When we moved to Oregon a couple years ago, finding a church family to worship with was very important to us. We are so happy to have a place where we can meet with other Christians and worship God together.
Kevin plays drums and guitar on the worship team. I usually play my violin for the Christmas service, but that is the only time. Once a month I help out in the nursery and get to play with the beautiful children who are age two and younger. I also help lead a women's Bible study that meets every week. I love studying God's word with these women and we always take time to pray together.
Sydney and Kayleigh attend a Sunday school class every Sunday and have so many friends there. They love to see their friends and every week they learn a new Bible verse, which they try to memorize at home.
I have had the opportunity to talk about the ministry of Compassion, specifically child sponsorship, and have had several friends begin to sponsor children through Compassion. Every month we meet together to write letters to our sponsored children and pray for them.
I would love to hear more about your church in your next letter. What is the name of your church? What is your favorite thing to do at church?
We love you and are praying for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Again, it's not long, too detailed or very eloquent. Keep it simple and be real.
Have you ever written to your kids about your church? Do you have anything to add to this? I'd love to hear your ideas!