Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mexico


I'm back, and I have so much to share with you. 

As I was coming through customs in Phoenix last night, the agent asked me why I was in Mexico and our conversation went something like this....

Agent: "What did you do during your time in Mexico?"
Me: "I was visiting and working in an orphanage."
Agent: "Wow. I bet that was a little bit disheartening."
Me: "Actually it was such a blessing. You see, all the kids in the orphanage are either physically or mentally disabled and in most cases are both. It was so encouraging to see how well taken care of they are and how much they are loved by the staff there. There was nothing disheartening about it."

I hadn't thought of it that way until this conversation took place and it was such a great way to end my trip. 

Recently I've been studying/memorizing the book of James, and I was so encouraged to see what Ed and Carol and Rick and Janet are doing for these kids as it relates to the message of James. 

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. ~ James 1:27

Although many of the 20 orphans who live at the ranch are not true orphans, they are outcasts. They are not wanted by their families because of their disabilities, but at the ranch they have a home and they have people who lovingly take care of their every needs. They have a church family that accepts them as they are and includes them in every way. 

Here are some other verses from James that jump out at me concerning the work that is going on at Rancho de los Ninos. 

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. ~ James 1:22
My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. ~ James 2:1
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. ~ James 2:8
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well' keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. ~ James 2:14-17

I'll leave you with a few pictures. And I'll be back later with some stories!


 Cesar, Ed and Jorge



 Cesar and myself




 Janet and Tamponio




Theresa, myself, Carol and Ed - the group from my church
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...