Monday, August 15, 2011

Too Small to Ignore – Chapter 6

WHEN IS ENOUGH….ENOUGH?

What do you think of when you hear the word enough?

One of the slogans I’ve seen on Compassion stuff is:

IMG_4966 the opposite of poverty is enough

Currently, when I hear the word enough, I can’t help but think of Shaun Groves’ new song based on Proverbs 30:7-9 titled, Enough. (I urge you to listen to this song by clicking on the Third World Symphony widget on the right side of this post. Click through the songs until you find Enough. Below are the lyrics.)

Two gifts I beg of you
Before I die don’t refuse
Keep lies far from my lips
And liars far from my midst

Please, don’t give to me
Wealth or poverty
God, I ask only for

Chorus:
Enough
Enough
God, only
Just enough

Rain more than this day’s bread
And I may say I’m God instead
Take all my crumbs away
And I may rob and wound your name

Wess labels the previous chapter as freedom from drivenness, time and hurry, and then labels this chapter is freedom from materialism ~ the obsession of things. (This is found at the beginning of Chapter 7).

I won’t expand of the excessive consumerism that pervades most first world cultures. Hopefully you are aware of the abundant blessings we are surrounded with. Personally, I have been intrigued by the concept of simple living in the past few years, particularly by the concept of minimalism. As with anything, there are different branches of minimalism, but my simple definition is to intentionally live with less. Or as the saying goes….live simply so others may simply live. (I have found this quote credited to both Mother Theresa and Ghandi).

“Jesus would approve any gesture that implies things are not the highest goal in life. He saw right through the barriers that possessions tend to creat, putting us into categories of “haves” and “have-nots.” He saw straight into the hearts of people in both camps. His heart broke for those who didn’t have enough but also for those who had too much…..His message to the poor was comfort. His message to the wealthy was caution.” – p. 105

“When the wealthy and the poor get together, each ends up meeting the desperate needs of the other.” – p. 107

What are your thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...