Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shoebox Time - Operation Christmas Child

I know, I know…..it might seem a little early to be thinking about Christmas since it’s only August, but if you plan ahead, you will find great deals right now. With all these “back to school” sales going on, you can stock up on crayons, markers, small notebooks and other things to use when filling your shoe boxes.
thumbnail.aspx
Perhaps you don’t know what I’m talking about….
You can learn more about this ministry by visiting their website, but I’ll also give you a very brief description. Sometime in early – mid November, you can fill a shoe box with all sorts of fun things for a child (you can choose the gender and age group). You wrap or decorate your shoebox, include a minimal fee for processing and shipping and take it to a drop off location (usually a church).
Why am I talking about Operation Christmas Child on a blog about Compassion?
There are a couple reasons, actually.
First…this is a GREAT family project and I’m always on the lookout for opportunities to serve and minister as a family. You will have so much fun with your little ones and/or your spouse as you shop for another child. As you pack the box, you can pray over the child who will receive it. You can even track your box and see where it gets delivered.
Secondly, when I was in Peru last year, I met the LDP student with whom we correspond. As we were talking, he asked me what other ministries our family is involved in (besides Compassion). When I mentioned Operation Christmas Child, his face lit up and he excitedly began speaking to his mother in Spanish. You see, he received one of these shoeboxes as a child. It meant so much to him and his family, and I was blown away that these two ministries had crossed paths in this young man’s life.
scan0001
I asked David to send me a picture of him receiving his box and he did!
All this to say….consider putting together a shoebox (or 2 or 3…) this year as a family, and take advantage of the great “back to school” sales going on. I got 4 boxes of markers and 4 boxes of crayons this past week for $2.
Have you put a shoebox together in the past?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...