Monday, August 13, 2012

Living Simply ~ This Week at Compassion Family

Live simply so others may simply live.

This is one of my favorite quotes (credited to either Mother Theresa or Ghandi, depending on who you are talking to) and is what drives me towards a life of living with less. There is a somewhat popular trend of minimalist living and I find myself drawn to it, but for different reasons than most.

You see, I want to take less for myself so that I may give to others more. And I find my inspiration in the life of Jesus ~ our ultimate example as believers.

I want to share some of my own story this week here on Compassion Family, and hopefully start a discussion about how we can live more simply, so we may help others simply live. You may or may not know, but I have another whole blog where I talk about my take on simple living and my own personal journey of desiring a minimalist lifestyle. I sometimes write about Compassion over there, so I thought this week I would write a bit about that part of my life here. I share this not to bring attention to myself, but rather to testify to the work God is doing in my life and in the life of others.

I love the following verses from Proverbs....
Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not not refuse me before I die. Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor the name of my God. ~ Proverbs 30:2-9

What does it mean to take only our daily bread? I love Shaun Groves' song Enough. Have you heard it?What does it mean to have enough? In a culture where we are told that more is better, how do we live with less? Where do we draw the line and say 'enough is enough'?!?

As sponsors of children living in extreme physical poverty, are we guilty of living in spiritual poverty?

What does it mean to "love your neighbor as yourself?"

Are we placing value in material things rather than spiritual things?
Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~ Matthew 6:19-21


Is our lifestyle oppressing the poor?
You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. ~ James 5:5

I've asked a lot of questions today and would love to hear your input. Or throw out some questions of your own.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...