Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Compassion Mothers - Emerita

I will never forget meeting David, LDP student in Peru, or his mother, Emerita. As we were saying goodbye, Emerita told me that she will pray for me as a mother. Specifically that I will be able to raise my children without the hardships she has endured. She went on to say how difficult it was to want everything for your children, but to have no hope because of poverty. As we looked through photographs of her children growing up, she would tell stories of how David or his sister would want big birthday parties with store-bought cakes, but how she could only afford to make a small cake. I shared with her that I, too, make birthday cakes for my daughters. It was comforting to make small connections despite our obvious living situations.

What struck me the most was the deep faith of this remarkable woman. Not only was she a woman of God, she had raised her children to love and serve the Lord. To me, this is success as a parent. I want my children to develop a faith in and commitment to God. Before we parted ways, I asked Emerita to pray for me - as a mother - that I might raise my children like she raised hers. She prayed for me right then, and I know her prayers continue for me every day.

It was an honor and privilege to meet David's mother...to witness the effect of sponsorship on this woman's life.

2 comments:

  1. such a beautiful story.
    As mothers, we all need others to pray for us. I am so blessed to be able to pray for you Jill, my beautiful daughter and Mother of my precious granddaughters!!! It is a priviledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome. Encouraging... cool.

    I know this will always be a cherished memory for you...

    Just love all the things you share!

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...