Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Become an Advocate

If you are not already part of Compassion's Advocate Network, prayerfully consider taking this next step.

Webster's defines advocate as one that pleads the cause of another. Or one that defends or maintains a cause or proposal. Or one that supports or promotes the interests of another.

In proverbs we are directed to become advocates:
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy. ~Proverbs 31:8-9


As an advocate, I have found it particularly encouraging to work events with my husband at my side. Although I am the "official" advocate, this partnership was the first step in making Compassion our family ministry. It has also been a wonderful experience to share the ministry of Compassion with my daughters by my side. The girls have heard me share in churches, homeschool chapels and with friends. They can easily talk about the ministry of Compassion and helping them understand what we do has strengthened my own advocacy.

The Advocate Network has many opportunities for training and discipleship. How you define and carry out advocacy is really up to each individual advocate. Some advocates rely on social networking, others organize fundraisers. Perhaps you particularly enjoy speaking to groups - big and small and are interested in presenting at as many churches as possible. The options are endless and what your advocacy looks like is up to you.

Compassion has people and resources to support you as you recruit and encourage fellow sponsors. If you have questions about the Advocate Network, please ask!

3 comments:

  1. Becoming a Compassion Advocate has been such a joy in my life. I know that God was there guiding me to take the step when doubts were holding me back. I am so thankful that I listened to Him and not the doubts!

    (As a side-note, Jill, I think there may be something missing from your button code. I posted about Compassion Family today but couldn't load the clickable button into my post. I'm no techy, though, so it may just be me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- thanks for letting me know about the button code. I'm not at home this week, so I'll check into it when I get home. I'm not techy, either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent in my application but haven't sent it my background check yet. I am very excited.

    I talked with a friend yesterday for about 45 mins about Compassion and she now wants to sponsor.

    It felt great....

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...