Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Want the Love of God in Me

There are so many verses in the Bible that encourage me when it comes to sponsoring children through Compassion and advocating for them.

Like this one...
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy. ~ Proverbs 31:8-9

I certainly know if I was unable to speak up for myself, I would appreciate someone else stepping up to do so. 

And then there is this greatest command....
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind...and love your neighbor as yourself. ~ Luke 10:27

If I love myself enough to take care of my basic needs, shouldn't I do the same for others? Especially if God commands me to do so?

But the one that really gets me...the one verse that really inspires me to serve God by serving others...
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need bus has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth. ~ 1 John 3:17-18

That's the one that punches me in the gut every time. I want the love of God in me. I want the love of God to flow out of me and into others. I want my actions to speak louder than my words. 

I love the "dear children" part....it's a gentle reminder, a loving reminder to put some action behind our belief.

How about you? What verse guides you in serving others?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...