Thursday, March 3, 2011

Emanuel's Family

This past August (2010), I had the opportunity to travel to Peru with Compassion on an advocate tour. After 17 years of being a sponsor and 15 years of being an advocate, this was a dream come true for me.

Before leaving for the trip, I asked Compassion for some child packets of kids needing sponsors from the projects we would be visiting. Our first day there, we attending one of the student centers for church and a special service they had put together for us. I had a child packet for a child named Emanuel who attended this student center.

Throughout the service I scanned the crowd, looking for a boy who resembled the boy in the photo. Finally we came to a point in the service where the children were being ushered out. Afraid I would lose my chance to find this little boy, I grabbed one of the staff workers and asked if she knew the boy in the photo. A proud smile came to her face as she said, "This is my son."

In the moments that followed, I quickly found myself surrounded by this boy's family. His father happened to be at the service instead of work, and his siblings had been actively involved in the service. After brief introductions I began explaining that I was going to do my best to find a sponsor for Emanuel. I would share his story with my family and friends and pray for someone to step up.

Then I felt a gentle tug on my heart. I realized that I had gone to Peru with the intent of adding another child to our family through sponsorship, and standing before me was an incredible opportunity. Even when you visit a child you sponsor through a country visit, it is very unlikely you will meet the entire family. Emanuel and his family stood before me and I graciously accepted this gift from God.

I will never forget those minutes we spent together, getting to know one another. It was an incredible beginning to my trip, not to mention a memorable way to begin sponsorship - with his family.

left to right: me, Emanuel, Elisa (mother), Alexa, Pablo and Ronaldo (father) -
his youngest sister Kristi is not pictured, but she was there.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story every time i hear it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! What an incredible story! I love it. How awesome. Thank you for sharing it.

    God definately connected those dots!

    Also I didn't realize you have been an Advocate so long... did you tell me that? (blush) YOU are such an encourager to me... and so many!

    I hope to share about this blog... this coming week on my blog!

    I will get back to your email.. thanks so much.. we have been crazy around here this week.

    Much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this link with me, Jill. What an amazing God-story! And thanks for the suggestions you sent me today via email. I will see if I am able to bring some child packets with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...