Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Two Friends in Ethiopia

This week I have two friends in Ethiopia - one is there with Compassion, another is there with Global Hope Network International.

Both are sharing about the desperate needs of this country. If you have a couple minutes, please read their most recent blog posts....

Just this morning I had a discussion with my daughters that led to an obect lesson. I was explaining that God did not evenly distribute the wealth among all the people in the world. To some (like us living in North America) He gave much. To others (like those living in Ethiopia) He gave very little. 

To ALL his followers, He gave a command to share. 

I then gave my youngest daughter 10 M&Ms and told her she was born in America.

To my oldest daughter I gave 0 M&Ms and told her she was born in Africa. 

Then I told my youngest that she loves God and wants to obey Him. He tells us to share, but doesn't tell us exactly how much to share. Thankfully my youngest is very generous and gave half of her candies to her sister. I dont' know if this lesson with stick with them, but it made an impression on me. 

Here's another great illustration I got from Compassion when I first became an advocate....

The Christian

If there are 4 cookies and 5 people,
the Christian is the one who goes without the cookie. 

If there are 7 seats on the subway and 8 people, 
the Christian is the one who rides standing up.

If there are 6 people and the taxi only holds 5,
the Christian is the one who rides standing up.

If there are 7 stereos and 8 people, 
the Christian is satisfied with his clock radio.

If there are 5 sweaters and 6 people, 
the Christian will hug himself/herself to keep warm.

If there are 10 people and 9 houses,
the Christian lives in an apartment.

If there are 10 people and 9 apartments, 
the Christian is the one who moves into the shelter.

If there are 10 people and 9 beds at the shelter, 
the Christian is the one who sleeps on the street.

If there are 5.6 billion on the planet and 800 million of them are starving in absolute poverty,
where are all the Christians?

STOP EATING ALL THE COOKIES

-Lefty



Is there something more you can be doing? 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...