Wednesday, December 28, 2011

One Word ~ A Different Kind of Resolution

Are you a New Year's resolution junkie? I am. I love setting intentional goals that help me focus my life for the upcoming year. I like goals and I like seeing growth in different areas of my life.

A couple years ago I was reading Compassion's blog and came across an idea that was new to me ~ choosing a word for the year. It's a sort of spiritual twist on New Year's resolutions.

As I read more behind this concept I learned that this wasn't really ME choosing a word as much as it was to be prompted by the Holy Spirit. I kept feeling like my word was supposed to be LOVE, but I really wanted something more interesting. I felt like LOVE was just a little too basic. However, I submitted to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and went with LOVE.

Did you know one year is just not enough to learn about God's love for me? Well, it's not, but I knew I needed to move on to a new word.

My word for 2011 was QUIET.


God gave me Zephaniah 3:17 to memorize and I was pleasantly surprised to find God was going to QUIET me with His LOVE.
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

The lessons I learned this past year concerning the word QUIET don't really stand out ~ they seem to be quiet themselves (kind of appropriate, don't you think?).

Now 2012 is on the horizon and I've been quieted by His love, I am ready to LISTEN.


I just love the layers God is creating through this discipline. I feel like God has been prepping me for this one and I'm so excited to see hear what is in store for me. 

If you are intrigued to learn more about the concept behind One Word, I urge you to go HERE and read more about this spiritual discipline. It's exciting to me that year after year, fellow Compassion sponsors and advocates are opening themselves to what God has in store for them.

If you already have your word for 2012, please take a moment to share it in the comments with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...